Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Morning Saga....

Picture this – “It is just about time for the sun to rise. You are comfortably nestled in your bed. The fan is on full blow and a cool natural breeze blowing through the window adds to the comfort. The annoying cricket has disappeared. You are having just the perfect early morning sleep.”

I was having one of the many such perfect mornings a few weeks ago. Suddenly, I was shaken by the shrill noise of the phone alarm. It was time to go for a jog. Initially I just ignored it. But, the manufacturers of Nokia probably considered this to be normal with many people (Thank God!! I am normal) and therefore made sure the volume of the alarm increases from “subtle” to “unbearable”. Unable to take it any more, I just grabbed the phone and hit the “Snooze” button. “Snooze” is just a polite word for “Shut up…I will deal with you later… The sadistic grin of having shut the alarm appeared on my face before I dozed off again. But, alas, it was so short-lived… The alarm took off again in 5 minutes….That’s so sadistic of Nokia to set the snooze period to just 5 minutes. I just hit the Snooze button and yet again the next time… Finally, out of frustration, I hit the “Stop” button. The ultimate solution to my problem.

But, then, looking at my weight increasing exponentially, I really wanted to go for a jog. So, I finally managed to drag myself out of the bed and headed towards brushing my teeth. While brushing my teeth, the dream that I had conceived while sleeping re-appeared before my eyes. It continued from where it left off. Suddenly, I shuddered when I heard someone from behind saying “Deepshu, so gaye kya???? I opened my eyes and it was my Mom. I had fallen asleep while brushing my teeth. I know that’s so unlikely, but it’s true. However, ashamed that I was, I got up with a start, got into my tracks and went out for that impending jog. I must admit that getting up early is tough, but the feeling that one experiences during and after a jog is so serene and satisfying. It makes you feel that you are already a few pounds lighter. But, don’t you fall for that, as it is not very true.

The next few days were easy and I was quite regular. Then came the weekend and I thought of giving myself a break since I had been quite regular throughout the week. Before I could realize, the weekend had zoomed off faster than a Ferrari, and here I was on a Sunday night, setting my alarm for the next day. The next day, the same process repeated itself and found me trying to get myself out of the bed. I did manage that and went through the entire brushing phase without any problem. I washed my face to make sure I did not feel sleepy. It worked. I got into my track pants. I was ready to put on my shoes and leave. I noticed that I was ready about 5-8 minutes earlier than my usual time. I decided to lie down for 5 minutes. There...that’s the mistake I made. I, immediately, started feeling sleepy and the effect of the face-wash had started fading. I got up after 5 minutes and went to my room to sleep through the next 2 hours. You guessed it right; I did skip my jog yet again.
After I got up, I would normally curse myself, but instead I felt… “Aaah...wow….that was good…”

Quite some time has passed since these incidents happened and I am fairly regular now.
I manage to go about 5 days a week. How did I manage to find a solution to my “morning saga” problem??
Well, 3 out the the 5 times, I go in the evening ….it’s much easier….

Saamp bhi mar gaya aur lathi bhi nahi tooti….”……

2 comments:

Navin said...

Enjoyable read. The post started of well to lure me and engaged me till the very end. Nicely done. Keem 'em coming.

Deepesh said...

Thanks dude...
Sometimes a good narration can make a bad story sound good and more often than not, a good story can be said nicely even in simple words. This is an example of the latter.